Sunday, May 17, 2009

Weekend recap

Yesterday was Macalester's Class of 2009 Graduation. I had so many friends graduate, and I'm sad that I won't be seeing them next year. But luckily, many of them will be in St. Paul over the summer, so I get to enjoy their company for the next couple of months. Thank goodness.

Saturday began quite badly - I am very anxious about tomorrow (my first visit to the Emily Program). Unfortunately, the combination of being anxious about that, lonely due to the fact that I'm the only one on my floor right now, and having a really hard time with my body right now lead to the worst b/p (mainly b) episode I've ever had. I felt terrible - I crawled back into bed, and took a nap before preparing for graduation. It helped a little, and the rest of the day went pretty well. I was able to take a long bike ride, which made me feel a little less guilty, but not much. I had a small supper - just some steamed asparagus and 1/2 a sweet potato. I wasn't hungry after the morning.

That being said, I woke up feeling famished - and proceeded to eat way too much again. My solution today has been to keep pretty active - I've taken 2 bike rides, walked a couple of miles, and cleaned/packed my room up (almost done!). I think the best thing to do right now, until my roommates come, is to buy small amounts of things, so I don't have tons of things to emotionally binge on. I'm going to talk to my boss and see if I can keep certain things (like bars) in a kitchen cupboard at work, so I can have them available during the day as snacks (which I know I'm supposed to eat), but they aren't there to ... help fuel Mr. ED. What do you guys think?

Hopefully my first day with the E.P. will go smoothly. I don't know what to expect - therapist session? nutritionist? I've had had ... some unhelpful experiences during high school when my parents forced me into therapy for depression and after they found out that I had been raped by our minister's son in 6th grade. I had kept so many terrible things bottled up for such a long time that it was difficult to open up to anyone about my most difficult feelings. I'm determined not to let that happen this time, but I'm scared sh*tless. Blogging (and all of my lovely blogger friends' support) has begun to let me loosen up a little bit, so I'm going to try to stay positive.

On the plus side - I have found a new favorite bar: the Toasted Nuts N' Cranberry Luna Bar. I mentioned earlier that I had tried the Chocolate Peppermint Stick bar and had a small problem with the texture. Toasted Nuts N' Cranberry is very different - its just like a good ol' fashioned trail mix granola bar, only better for you and (I think) better tasting: chewy, nutty, cranberry-y. I'm excited to try more of these bars.

Also - I just cooked myself a Kabocha - O. M. G. Love it! I've always been a squash lover (my parents tell me that my favorite type of baby food was the squash one), and this is no exception. I baked it for about 55 minutes at 400, and its amazing. Even the skin is good. I threw in some asparagus the last 10 minutes. This is an amazing dinner - I wasn't really hungry after this morning, but I knew I should eat something. This is perfect. Yum yum yum. I highly recommend kabocha to everyone. I look forward to all of the great things I can do with this, including some of An Apple A Day's wonderful suggestions.

Some food porn, just for kicks:

Oats, 1/2 a banana, 1/2 an apple, some cinnamon, and some unsweetened almond milk (yum).


Oats with 1/2 a banana, some strawberries, and cinnamon, topped with another 1/4 banana and some Kashi Go Lean.


I'll try to get some more foodie pictures up soon (found the camera cord, but no batteries!).

Like salsa? Check out Julie's fab giveaway!

Love to all you lovely ladies!

Emma

7 comments:

Anonymous,  May 17, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Keep your head above the water, Emma. You're already on the road to getting better; you know that you're never going to go back where you started. So don't beat yourself up or feel too guilty when b/p episodes happen. Slipping up will always be a part of progress.

It's so, so important to eat when you're hungry so you're not famished later, so I definitely think keeping bars/other snacks at work (or maybe in your purse?) is a good idea. I know you're totally anxious lately, so try your best to relieve all the stress and anxiety you're feeling right now through positive channels that will make you feel good about yourself.

Love, love, and more love being sent your way. :) <3

Anonymous,  May 17, 2009 at 10:23 PM  

Hi love <3

Question - are you sure you're eating enough during the day? One of the main causes of binges is undereating earlier...just a thought.

So sad many of your friends are graduating! I definitely know how that feels - happened to me last year, and this year I was left almost friendless. Sucked.

It sounds like you've been through a lot, hun. I hope therapy or whatever it is that you're going into works out for you. I know my therapist has been an absolute ANGEL to my recovery - not just in dealing with my eating disorder but sexual abuse, too.

Keep your chin up <3

Lo,  May 17, 2009 at 10:56 PM  

you are a beautiful blogger with an even more beautiful soul! dont be afraid to open up and speak about any feelings you have...clearing them up makes recovering a lot easier on you. You are doing fab and eating fab porn foods...i love food porn..expect some tomorrow from me! thanks for ur comments bc they always brighten my day and make me giggle...yes i said giggle (im forever 5 years old.)

Anonymous,  May 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

I want to say first thank you for the sweet comments on my blog.

I really identify with a lot of the things you talked about in this post. The first year after beginning my recovery from anorexia, I developed a horrible bulimia cycle, so much like the one you are describing. It really is important to just start eating as normally as possible, or else it can start the vicious cycle all over again. I also think it's a great idea to keep snacks around just in case.

Take care, and stay strong.

Much love,
Rachel

Anonymous,  May 18, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

oh dear. I'm really sorry about the little episode. But please don't feel bad about it...we all have our down moments. instead, focus on the moment NOW and live for THIs moment. what's past is past.

Anonymous,  May 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM  

Hey! This is my first time commenting on your blog. I found it through Lisa's blog. Love your oatmeal and sorry about the B/P--I am so glad you're remaining positive though!!
<3 jess
xoxo

Anonymous,  May 18, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

I'm pretty sure my last comment didn't make it through (curse the Internet) but sorry if this ends up being a double-post.

TN&C is totally my favorite luna flavor. Soo scrumptious.

And I've got to try kabocha too. I've seen it all over the blogging world lately and its next on my list of things to try.

Grats on the A's.. we ROCK big time.

Have a great week girlie!

-E

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP