16 inches.
Yeah. That's right.

I did it. At around 1:15, I didn't have anything to do. I was leaving at 2 pm to go to a concert (more on that later), so I just reached for my scissors, and behold: a brand new me!

Please forgive the cheesy myspace-camera-in-the-mirror picture. It was the best way to get more light.

Please forgive the cheesy myspace-camera-in-the-mirror picture. It was the best way to get more light.
It feels kind of strange. I haven't had hair shorter than my shoulders in ... um ... since I was 6? The back is SUPER short. I love it though. I feel ... light. The braid weighs a good quarter of a pound, I swear. Everytime I see myself in the mirror, I still do a double take though.
What do you think?
My roommate moved out today and went back home. I won't see her until January! We are both going abroad in the fall - me to Ireland and she to Spain. There is a small possibility of meeting in Europe. Emphasis on the small. I love her so much - I miss her. The room feels so empty without her.
I've read so many lovely posts about mother's day. My mom is 1200 miles away, and I do miss her. I am very close to my parents, but I am also fiercely independent. I don't miss them in a homesick, or I want to see them right now sort of way, but I would have liked to see her. I only got to talk to her for a few moments, but I told her how much I loved her, and how much I am sorry for the worry I've caused her over the past few months. I have to recover, for her. She is such a strong woman - she's been legally blind since she was 4 (and its become worse over the years), and yet she proceeded to go to school, get a Ph.D., and now she is a self-employed psychologist with a strong client base. I want to follow in her footsteps (sort of - in the success part, not in the career). She's truly an inspiration.
The concert: Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto, Paganini's 1st Violin Concerto, and Sibelius' Second Symphony. My professor from Western 19th Centurty Music and Beethoven was the pianist for the concerto. So. So. Good. Go listen to the Beethoven and Sibelius.
Right. Now. Go.
You haven't gone yet.
Listen!
Music makes my life better. Really. I can't describe how it makes my heart and mind swell with ... hope. It was wonderful.
Have a lovely night. Spend time with your mothers for me!
Love,
Emma
I've read so many lovely posts about mother's day. My mom is 1200 miles away, and I do miss her. I am very close to my parents, but I am also fiercely independent. I don't miss them in a homesick, or I want to see them right now sort of way, but I would have liked to see her. I only got to talk to her for a few moments, but I told her how much I loved her, and how much I am sorry for the worry I've caused her over the past few months. I have to recover, for her. She is such a strong woman - she's been legally blind since she was 4 (and its become worse over the years), and yet she proceeded to go to school, get a Ph.D., and now she is a self-employed psychologist with a strong client base. I want to follow in her footsteps (sort of - in the success part, not in the career). She's truly an inspiration.
The concert: Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto, Paganini's 1st Violin Concerto, and Sibelius' Second Symphony. My professor from Western 19th Centurty Music and Beethoven was the pianist for the concerto. So. So. Good. Go listen to the Beethoven and Sibelius.
Right. Now. Go.
You haven't gone yet.
Listen!
Music makes my life better. Really. I can't describe how it makes my heart and mind swell with ... hope. It was wonderful.
Have a lovely night. Spend time with your mothers for me!
Love,
Emma


13 comments:
I love love love your hair!! And Ireland... have fun!!
Yay I'm glad I can leave comments again, that was so weird before! WOW you really did cut your hair! It looks awesome! I can't believe you did it yourself, I would be WAY too chicken to ever attempt that! I'm so glad you had a positive experience with your roomie, I don't know many people who did lol! I know you'll have a great time in Ireland and having a rockin new hairdo is just one more thing to make your trip special!
You cut your hair yourself? ... Wow! You did an awesome job, it looks great. I'd be terrified to do that! ;)
Oooh Ireland... it's on my "want to go there" list... okay, so most of the world is on there, but still!
<3 <3
I love the hair cut! It looks really great. I remember the first time I cut off all my hair - went from a bit more than shoulder length straight to pixie cut. Oh man - the hair dresser thought I was having some sort of 15-year old life crisis or something. ^.^ Good stuff though. Doesn't it make you feel like a whole new person? I hope you enjoy the cut. Are you donating your hair? Or did you just cut it for fun?
You are so pretty! And the hair looks good. Are you donating?
Your hair looks great! So cute!
Glad you had fun at the concert. It sounds lovely!
And I'm so glad that I found your blog ; )
Sarah
omg gorgeous! and ireland is kick ass according yo my grandma. she has been twice and I wanna go with her next time! apparently family is there! rooms always feel empty when people move out...its bittersweet ya know....i move in one week! new studio!!! yay!!
ttyl my lil puffin,
lo
oh my gobbbbs! I LOVE your haircut and can't believe that you had the courage/guts/talent/steady hand to do it yourself!! Sorry that you didnt get to spend Mom's day with your own but on the bright side, from reading your post, you are such an amazing daughter and they are so lucky to call you their own!!
Also, thank you so very much for your sweet comments to my post on Friday! it really meant a lot!
Wow, congrats on cutting your hair! I've done it several times now (donated hair to Locks of Love), but my first time was right around the time I started recovering from ED. It was a great way for me to bid farewell to the past.
Anyway, I am so glad that I just discovered your blog!
Just found your blog, so "hello"! I had to scroll down to see old hair pics- LOVE the new cut!
Look forward to reading more about you (especially if you are coming to this side of the pond- I live in Scotland)
Your hair looks GREAT. I'm so proud that you went for it! 16 inches is a lot to let go. :)
Your mother's story is seriously inspirational. What an amazing woman!
Have an amazing trip!! And super fun hair! Are you going to donate it to locks for love?? I did that a year ago and it was amazing!
Love your hair- So cute! Fun blog btw:D
Post a Comment