Phew.
Happy Saturday everyone!
Its finally stopped raining here in the Midwest, but unfortunately its still a little cool to be outside (and windy). So I'm in my room, which never proves to be productive. I'm supposed to be beginning a paper about Sibelius' Second Symphony, but I have no idea where to start. There are too many wonderful things about it, that I can't narrow my topic down. Also - Geology. Finals are coming up, and I need to make sure I have everything down!
I am still so excited about Ireland. I can't wait to wander around a beautiful town, a beautiful country, free... I look forward to figuring out more of what my semester (or, as they spell it, semestre) is going to be like - the housing and what not.
This morning started out with a nice workout - 2 1/4 miles around the track and two rounds of the stadium stairs. When I came back to my room, I had a small bowl of 1/2 a pear, 1/4 a banana, 1 1/2 tbsp oats, 1 1/2 tbsp almond milk, and some cinnamon, warmed until hot and bubbly. I started eating it before I could snap the picture, it was so good!
I made two very difficult calls today - one to my mom, and one to my gifted counselor from high school/close friends (basically family). I was sad my dad wasn't able to talk (he had to go to talmud services), but I'm glad I talked to my mom. We actually talked for almost an hour (very rare for us), but ED didn't come up until the end - we mostly discussed the fall and my semester in IRELAND (!). When I brought it up, I made her promise that she wouldn't say anything afterwards, and she could respond in an email. I told her what I had been hiding, and how sorry I was for denying it for so long. I apologized for all the hurtful things I may have said during my denial, and I told her how much I loved her. It was hard, but it was good to get it off my chest. Our relationship (and the one with my dad) has been rather strained over the past few months, largely due to my denial, their worry, and how the two things have interacted. When I told my counselor, I actually started to cry. I haven't cried in months. She was so supportive (I knew she would be). She is glad I am somewhere I have access to a good program - going through this in my hometown would be very difficult. I miss her, but her love crosses the miles.
I've spent (most of) the rest of the day trying to figure out the topic of my paper, trying to study, but its been difficult. I feel so ... exposed. I don't know how else to describe it. I have told a total of 4 people (5, if you count my father, who I told my mom to repeat what I told her to him when he got home) - what is going on with ED, all in a rather short period of time. Coming to terms with it is going to be hard, but its something I need to do.
Something I have learned in the past week is how much people really do care about me. I am uncomfortable with many outward displays of affection/fondness/love/whatever, but knowing that so many people support me strengthens my resolve. I'm still getting used to the idea of having an ED, but I am determined to get better. I will recover. Nothing can stand in my way ... except for me.
A few quotes that I think are very relevant to the issue of fear popped into my head:
"Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom" - Marilyn Ferguson
On a lighter note (or three!):
I see a review or two coming up! I got these at Target (I took a quick trip because my headphones broke, and these were on sale for 75 cents). I've read quite a bit from other bloggers about them, and I'm looking forward to trying them.
I can't wait for summer - I'll actually be able to cook, which means I'll be posting more than pictures of oatmeal. Isn't that exciting? :) Spring is here, but only when summer vacation starts will that happen. Campus is already celebrating:
Thank you to everyone for your continued support, and for being an inspiration to me. Even just reading your blogs has helped me realize that I'm not alone in this fight.
Have a wonderful evening!
<3>


5 comments:
I'm so glad that you told your mom (and you dad by extension) and your gifted counselor. My dad still doesn't know (and by that I mean I've never ADMITTED to having an ED and he doesn't realize I'm still struggling) but it was important to acknowledge the problem to my mom and a select few people in order to get help. I'm really happy you're doing the same! I'm curious what your mom has to say in response...When are you going to Ireland? That will be an amazing time, studying abroad is one of my goals!
Emma,
I'm so proud of you for making those calls! Not an easy thing I'm sure, but you did it. Hooray for you.
Totally looking forward to the bar reviews. I love that luna bar flavor and I can't wait to see what you think. ;P
With Love,
emily
Hi Emma,
I just found your blog and wanted to say hi :) Well done for making those calls, I can imagine how difficult that must have been. I know recovery is scary, but it is definitely worth it. I hope you are having a nice weekend!
Katie x
hey emma,
that's AMAZING that you made those calls -- they must have been SO hard, but it will be worth it, seriously. you can get through this and by having the support of your family, you WILL!
omg IRELAND, i am so jealous! that will be amazing!
have a great sunday =)
Emma!
I'm so happy for you that you had the courage to make those calls. I remember when I told my mom, it was probably the hardest thing i ever had to admit to her because i felt so ashamed. Same with telling my dad.. but They have been a huge support system in my recovery as i'm sure you'll find out as well! Just think: if you are able to make such a difficult call, you can totally conquer ed!
You're going to Ireland? I LOVE it there! I have been 5 times and still have never met nice people than the Irish!!
Have a blast!
Post a Comment