Thursday, May 21, 2009

$6.66

That was the amount I paid at Whole Foods today when I went to get some Oikos! I ended up grabbing some bars (coupons I've collected had to be used!).

Speaking of Oikos....

From the website:

Called “yiaourti” in Greece, Greek yogurt is creamier than regular yogurt. Authentic Greek yogurt like ours owes its extra creaminess to a centuries-old straining process that removes the whey (liquid) from the yogurt.

For hundreds of years, Greeks have prized strained yogurt for its richness and creaminess, and because it makes a wonderful cooking ingredient that’s less likely to curdle when heated. Before the time of mechanical refrigeration, Greeks also knew that yogurt stayed fresh longer with the liquid strained off. Today we know that straining makes Greek yogurt richer in protein than regular yogurt, and lower in lactose.

Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt has 0% fat, just 90 calories per 5.3 oz.-serving*, twice the protein of regular yogurt, and fewer carbohydrates. Because it’s organic, our yogurt is also better for the earth. And we think it’s better for you, too.

Nutrition: Serving Size 5.3 oz; Calories: 80; Fat: 0g; Sodium: 80 mg; Carbs: 6g (6g Sugar); Protein: 15g.

The summer before my freshman year in college, I backpacked in Greece for a month. I ate real Greek yogurt (and Fage as well - it is a genuine Greek brand, after all). I was looking forward to trying Oikos, but I did have some reservations. Let's just say it passed with flying colors! I decided to go for the plain flavor first to be authentic. I had it with dinner (which I'll get to later), and it was wonderful - rich, creamy, and just a little tart, just like it should be. Way to go Oikos! I have the vanilla flavor waiting for breakfast.

The rest of my dinner consisted of a steamed (in the microwave) acorn squash, some green beans, and a La Tortilla Whole Wheat tortilla (not pictured below):


Take a look at that yummy goodness - naturally sweet, and with just a pinch o' pumpkin spice on top.... Holy num.


I'll go in reverse order - my lunch was the same as yesterday: a homemade 'hummus' sammie, on lite ww bread with lettuce, tomato, and mustard, with a side of carrots and raw green beans. Yum.

Breakfast was... you make up your own mind. :)


Overnight oats (1/4 c oats, soymilk, and flax seeds), with strawberries, puffed wheat cereal, and a tbsp of pb. Yummmmmmmmmmmmm.

Although today started out a little rough (thanks for all of your lovely wishes!), the rest of the day was alright. I went into work for the rest of the 4 1/2 hours I had left this week, and then went to have coffee with one of my favorite professors of all time. Unfortunately, he won't be here at Macalester next year. Its terrible. I won't go into the details, but Mac has a terrible policy that is making him go away. He is the reason that I'm a music major - he's more than a professor - he's a mentor and a friend. I'll miss him terribley.

After coffee (tea for me), I got in my workout. I went to the gym - 35 minutes on the elliptical. I also got in some yoga this morning. I forgot my headphones in my room when I went... which resulted in one of the longest 35 minutes of my life. I won't do that tomorrow!

I just wanted to thank everyone who is reading this for their love and support - I joined the blogging world to have a place to share my thoughts, but I never imagined how much love and friendship I would find.

Love,
Emma



12 comments:

Anonymous,  May 21, 2009 at 10:50 PM  

Mmmm...Oikos! I eat one literally every day, lol. I usually get plain and have lotsa mix-ins, but I'll get blueberry sometimes for a treat. Honey is decent, and I still haven't tried the vanilla. It's sitting in my fridge right now actually.

I also HATE doing the elliptical without headphones. It's weird because I'm a runner, and I never listen to music running. With gym equipment, though, it's a whole different story.

And I totally agree with your last comment. I only joined the blogging community weeks ago, but I feel so welcome and loved here.

Have a great night!
<3 Nell

Elle May 22, 2009 at 12:38 AM  

Hey Emma,

Thanks for your encouragement and wishes on my interview! I've caught up on the past few days of your blog - sorry you've been feeling a little lonely/isolated recently. It's a mixed bag - I loved living alone this past year, but at times I really did long for the times when I could literally walk out of my door and into my best friend's room merely 15 feet away. I'm sure as the summer gets into full swing and all of the awesome events in St. Paul/Minneapolis are happening 24/7, you'll have plenty of ways to occupy your time and meet new people.

I'm sorry to hear that your professor is leaving - I formed some good relationships with a few of mine this year, and knowing that I won't see them a few times a week is one of the most bittersweet things about leaving college. I'm sure you'll be able to keep in touch with him - but like you said, it's not the same without being able to see them.

Thanks for the Oikos review - I've been hesitant to try it because I love my Fage so much, but I think I'll pick some up the next time I make a grocery store run.

Much love,
Elle

Anonymous,  May 22, 2009 at 1:30 AM  

LOL satanic yogurt! I'm glad you liked it though! Sorry to hear about your professor leaving..that is so sad! But it sounds like you guys have a great relationship and if the blogging world has taught you ANYTHING it's that you don't have to be geographically close to someone to be close TO them! :)

Oh Lord I hateeee when I leave my headphones at home, working out sans music is the worst punishment ever!

The Novice Berker May 22, 2009 at 3:17 AM  

I dream of visiting Greece one day! Images of the blue and white architecture and the amazing sights seriously make me instantaneously jealous. :(

That's awful about your professor leaving, especially since he's such an inspiration to you. I hope you guys manage to keep in touch in the future.

Things will always work themselves out in the end; don't fret too much, dear. <3

itsawrap May 22, 2009 at 7:27 AM  

Greece is on my top 3 place I would love to visit. That must have been an amazing experience! Oikos yogurt is great except the vanilla has a weird aftertaste :)

Anonymous,  May 22, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

Oikos is pretty good -- actually, I think Stonyfield do plain yogurt well, in general. I really like the flavor of their regular stuff too. Glad you enjoyed it!

K from ksgoodeats May 22, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

I ADORE Greek yogurt! Once you go Greek, you don't go back ;)

I'll have to try the acorn squash/pumpkin spice combo. Sounds awesome! Glad the rest of your day went well! Hope you have a fantastic Friday!!

curlytop May 22, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

Emma,

Morning sweetie!
Whole foods has an evil mind trick. They don't let you leave the store without buying multiple items. But the yogurt? It looks delicious. Yum, yum.
TGIF, mais oui?
With Love,
Emily

Anonymous,  May 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

YUMMY yogurt! Glad you enjoyed it :) I hate forgetting my headphones! It does seem to feel like a lot longer when that happens. Thanks for the comment :)
<3 jess
xoxo

Cacti Don't Cry May 22, 2009 at 11:16 AM  

Love acorn squash, though I've never tried to steam it in the microwave before!

I'm sorry your professor won't be back... it's hard to connect with someone that way and then have to say goodbye to them.

<3 <3

ElleMigliore May 22, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

You backpacked Greece? I am incredbily jealous!!! You have to tell me allllll about it when you get time! Post pictures, too!!!

I'm glad that you're day is looking up! It is afterall, Friday!!

Sorry about your professor. Hope that tea & coffee was good! I had a professor like that, which was the reason I chose the subject I'm going into. Those type of inspirational people are sometimes few and far between so consider yourself lucky to have come across him!

Have a great great great weekend, lovely!

Anonymous,  May 24, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

I love Greek yogurt with a PASSION!! I would eat it every single day if I could afford it. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money, but I do eat it 2-3 times a week. Leaving Whole Foods with a damage of $6.66 is an accomplishment in itself!! I seem to always break-the-bank when I'm in that store.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP