Here comes Mr. Sun
Hello all. :)
Oh, how I love the sun. In the past two days, I've spent about four hours lying in the sun, under beautiful blue skies reading absolutely ridiculous smut books. (Seriously - they are classified as 'paranormal romance'. Not your typical beach read, but hilarious and (unfortunately) quite catchy. Think Twilight for adults) And, to add to the wonderfulness of it all, I'm finally getting back to my normal skin color. The past year of living in MN has resulted in the palest skin I've ever had. Even in the winter in NM, I had some sort of color, but up here, my Irish and Scandanavian blood has taken over my lovely Italian shade. But now... bring on the tan.
That being said, I'm getting more of my cute Irish freckles. I love the ones on my shoulders.
Before I get to a review, I want to send my warmest, most heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has given so much support to me in the past couple of months. For the many years (read 6th grade to March 2009)that I pushed through by myself, trying to ignore my depression and perfectionism (before ED), I had no one to turn to. I love my parents and tell them almost everything, but I never turned to them because I didn't want them to worry about me. I didn't tell even the best of my friends because although I love them dearly, I didn't want to lose them, freak them out, or have their pity (and many of them were still adolescent boys, so I just didn't think they could deal. period). ED arrived in June of 2008, and until I started this blog, I pushed people away instead of reaching out. In the past couple of months, I have 'talked' to everyone who reads this, and the responses I have received have helped more than anyone can know.
I was given the strength to tell my parents and Geri, my high school gifted counselor/crazy 'aunt' lady.
I was given the courage to tell my voice teacher, the dean of students, and my accompanist.
I was given the inspiration to make an appointment at the Emily Program to get professional help (June 3rd is my first real meeting).
And last night, I was given the opportunity to reach out to a friend for help - something I never would have done without meeting all of you.
I know I've mentioned before that I 'adopt' people into my family. I consider each and everyone of you who has reached out to me in anyway family. I love you, and I just wanted to thank you.And now, a review. :)
From the site:
GOLEAN Crunchy! bars are designed for an Optimized Glycemic Response with slow release carbohydrates to balance blood sugar, and protein and fiber to help you stay satisfied.
This is the 4th flavor of Kashi GoLean Crunchy bars that I've had (the only one I haven't tried is Chocolate Almond). The other flavors include Chocolate Peanut, Chocolate Pretzel, and Cinnamon Coffee Cake. I have loved all of them, but this one just didn't do it for me. It did have pices of puffed 'caramel' corn, but I though that the bar as a whole was rather bland. Of the bars, this one has the lowest amount of calories (by 10, but I would sacrifice those 10 calories for flavor. I do recommend this line of Kashi bars though - with 8g- 11g of protien, 4-5g fiber, and 3-5g fat, these are great either as part of a meal or snack. The other flavors are delicious, and I can't wait to try the 5th!
I can't wait to hear the next development in Lo's
Love you all,
Emma
P.S. Check out this TJ's giveaway!


12 comments:
The Crunch bars remind me too much of Quaker's rice cakes and I'm not a big fan.
And I feel so special to be a part of your "extended family" now! Lots of love!
awe thanks for that shout out lovebug! and i am so happy for you and your progression! you are reaching out which is a great thing! mtv movie awards tonight aka...rob pattinson!!!!
xoxo
lo
Aww, what a beautiful post. ED are hell to go through, but it's so important to have people you love and trust to talk to and to support you. Don't be ashamed of your ED. Covering it up will never do any good... but just remember that it does NOT define you. You are your own person outside of ED, and you deserve to live a life free of it. :)
You HAVE to try the Chocolate Almond. Haha, that's my favorite of the five. I totally agree with you on the chocolate caramel. Too blah for my tastes!
xxoo
Heather
I hope you're wearing sunscreen! ;)
I'm glad that you've been able to "reach out" -- EDs are lonely things, and we tend to just make it worse for ourselves by pushing others away.
<3 <3
I haven't tried any of those Kashi bars. Hmm! Sorry you didn't enjoy it too much. I think I'll try the others. Thanks for the review! I'm sorry you've been struggling lately--if you need anything, just let me know!
<3 jess
xoxo
Emma! This post is so heartfelt and sincere, and I am truly happy for you and all the positive changes that have happened and are still happening in your life. I can relate to a lot of things - the depression and perfectionism leading up to an ED, and it makes me so glad to know that you're getting the help and support you need. I also feel like this blogging community has been such a positive source of comfort and support. *Hugs* Just know that we'll always be here for you.
Thanks for the review. I've been hesitant about buying those because I wasn't sure how they compared to Clif and Luna, but I'll be sure to give them a shot now.
<3 Nell
Us Scandinavians just can't tan for crap! Glad you've got a little Italian in you to darken yourself up ;)
The only Crunchy bar I've liked it the pretzel one. The other just don't do it for me for some reason! I hope you enjoyed the company of your friend last night and didn't worry to much about dinner!
Hi Emma. It sounds like you are really doing better. I'm so glad that you are able to open up more to people about ed. It makes things a lot less lonely and is a HUGE step. Hope you have a great day!
Sarah
I have really enjoyed entering the blog world too. I've found it very helpful and I look forward to meeting a lot of new people and getting their help and insights into life. I was hoping you could give me some good tips on getting my blog out there? I'm not sure how much traffic I am getting, and I would love to make some more friends and have good people to talk to. If YOU ever want to chat, ABOUT ANYTHING, just let me know and I'd love to be there. I know I may have some of the same issues as you, but as an outsider, I think I can give some pretty grounded advice (if not just being able to understand). Thanks so much for recording your words! Keep it up and keep in touch!
Emma, you sweet, sweet girl! This post brought tears to my eyes...
being open abt your ED is such a HUGE step...for me, it was obligatory because I was a pastor's kid and I was pretty damn, undeniably sick, but it brought me back SO many blessings...I couldn't have survived without all the support from my family and friends, and I know YOU will be doubly blessed too...what made me especially touched was that you have the heart to bless others through your own sufferings, too...and Emma, you have become one heck of a beautiful person :-)
and hey, I like pale skin! I'll willingly trade my tanned skin for yours! and yup, freckles are cute! too bad Asians never really get those...:-(
i <3 kashi too :) haha its okay vampires are in style girl!
hi love,
what a beautiful post -- you do have so much strength and courage, keep digging deep and letting it come out! i know you can do it. also, please know i appreciate YOUR friendship and kind words so very much too!
i have one of those kashi bars waiting for me to try (chocolate almond i think?!) -- thanks for the reminder! haha.
hope you had a good time with your roommates, i know eating out can be tough but just remember how far youve come when youre feeling down!
xoxo
Post a Comment