Its raining, its pouring, and this girl ain't snoring!
*Excuse the "ain't", please. I hardly ever use it, and only then in situations like this.
Today has been rather lovely. I woke up at 7:30, and spent the next few hours bumming around, catching up on the blogging world, fighting with Macalester's online bill system (still not done! I refuse to give up!), and trying to find a sweater or hoodie online. I intended on hopping on the bike and getting over to Target before the rain started, but by the time I was awake, the rain had already started! I was rather ... displeased, and may have uttered a curse or two at the sky. But the Twin Cities are in a drought, so I'm glad that its been raining all day for that reason.
Does anyone have a suggestion on where to find a cheap/reasonably priced sweater? I'm at a loss. My normal 'go to' (Old Navy) has let me down. Thanks!
My breakfast was a cereal mess thing... Kashi GoLean, some kamut puffs, a couple of Wheaties, some Kefir mixed with a little cocoa. Yummo.
At 10:30, or rather, 10:45, the ever lovely Anna picked me up and we went back to her house to eat lunch. She has one of the nicest places I've seen - everything just seems to fit together. She has a wonderful collection of books (both cooking and other literature) and records (yes, as in the good ol' vinyl), and the house is decorated in the most charming little details. And... her two cats are adorable! One of them is especially playful and friendly, not to mention beautiful (grey, with subtle stripes). Anna showed me some of her work, and I have to say its wonderful. The books are incredibly professional looking and very welldesigned - far more so than ones designed in the US. Well, these are designed in the US, but her company is in the UK. She also showed me a book that she made (ordered?) of a collection of some of her photography - truly beautiful.
She made me a lovely lunch - a tofu scramble, with tons of vegetables, colored a delightful yellow by some turmeric, and some sweet potato fries. I was a little forgetful this morning, and left my camera on my room, but I'm sure she will have a lovely picture of it sometime this evening on her blog.
After lunch, she took me over to a Trader Joe's, where I picked up some staples (apples, carrots, a can of black beans, etc.), and a couple bars that will make their appearance soon, I promise!
When I got back to campus, I went to the gym and ran for 30 minutes, and then ran/walked for 35 more minutes. My running is by far slower than other people's running, but the fact that I ran 30 minutes without stopping? I've never done that before! I ran faster than I did the other day too! I'm so happy with myself - my legs are a little sore, but I'm stretching often and drinking more. So. Runners out there - are there any specific stretches that you recommend?
Mmkay. I don't know what I'm doing tonight. We'll see!
Have a lovely Saturday, girls!
Love you!
Emma


7 comments:
Yay! Congrats on the running girl!
what a fantastic day! congrats on a great run -- like you said, youre out there doing it, who cares if youre not the fastest one?! =)
hope you have an equally amazing night! xoxo
urgh....hate rainy days...it's been quite dreary and depressing these days!
great job with the running! but if you're feeling sore, you may want to rest for a day before running again! that way, your legs will develop better muscles!
Definitely sounds like you had a great day! Sweaters? I'd say to try the Gap, American Eagle, Kohl's, or Macy's for some reasonable prices. It's hard to find sweaters this time of year!
What a great lunch and afternoon with Anna. I'm so glad to hear that the two of you are hitting it off! She sounds like a great friend!
Congrats on the run!!! I guess we're both doing great on our running goals! ;) My suggestion would be to do some hamstring and the other basic leg/arm/neck exercises before running, and to ALWAYS wind down with a walk and similar stretches when you end. Muscles will cramp up from the release of lactic acid when you don't stretch them out and loosen them up with walking when you run for any extended distance. You also have to make sure you stay hydrated before and after you run to since muscles are prone to dehydration. Good luck!
Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!
xxoo
Heather
rainy days are awful. great job on the run. I can somewhat relate to you on the running... I used to run all the time and it was no problem for me but after spraining my ankle really bad last summer playing volleyball (i jumped and landed on the side) running long distances has been really hard for me. so give yourself lots of credit for doing 30 minutes running.
have a great day
pam
great run! sounds like an altogether really fun day- glad you and Anna had such a nice time!
Department stores are usually my go-to when Old Navy lets me down, or Gap- they always have great sale racks!
Sounds like an awesome day! I'll have to check out Anna's blog since I've never read it before. That's so cool that you're close enough to get together all the time.
Running stretches...hmmm. Well I kinda still am/used to be a dancer, so I tend to use a warm-up stretch for dance as my post-run stretch. Pretty simple - lunge stretches, straddles, touch your hands to the ground, hurdle stretches, and splits. Any yoga stretches are great too. I wish I could just show you! Maybe I'll make a video post, haha.
Hope your weekend was great.
<3 Nell
Post a Comment