I am not a writer
Everyday, I read amazing posts by some lovely people out there - Jenny, Neela, Debs, Heather, Heather, Lauren, Lauryn, Meg, Sophia... the list goes on and on. I admire the wisdom that each one of them is able to craft about recovery, love, happiness, beauty, and heck, even fashion. I have never been a 'writer' - yes, I can compose one hell of an analytical paper, a research paper, or even a standard essay, but putting my thoughts and emotions into words? Not so much.
I once had this ability - I kept a diary for years and years. I prided myself for being able to not just have the standard "Dear diary, blah blah blah, boys, blah blah blah, parents, blah blah blah, omg, love Emma" kind of style. I put though, effort into the things I was writing. Sentence structure was, and remains something I value - my parents introduced me to higher literature at a young age, and creative, varied syntax is important to me. However, I walked in on someone I loved and looked up to as a role model reading said diary one summer afternoon.
That same person would become the person who raped me later that summer.
I stopped keeping a diary as depression set in. My old coping mechanism of writing evaporated into one of emotional eating. Three years late I would weigh in at 240 lbs. I shut down - I didn't tell anyone about what had happened for 5 years.
Assigned stories, journals, and poems were the only ventures into the creative writing field I was to do until March of 2009, when I began this blog. In the past couple of months, more emotions and personal information has been written than has been written in 8 years. My journey has just begun - not just on the path of writing, but on the path of self-acceptance, recovery, and living a full and complete life.
I am still struggling to put some of my relfections into the written word. Many of them are not concrete ideas, but rather intuition, emotion attached to actions that carry the same ideas that so many of you express. They remained trapped in my head, unwilling to flow out of my fingers. Ideas with less positive, more destuctive leanings also exist, and many times outweigh the more optimistic, motivational ones that I see so many of you radiating. You all give me hope, inspiration - but this same hope (ironically) also brings a sense of inferiority.
My perfectionism takes over, quickly comparing my pessimism and self - ... disapproval that I feel so often to the joy and pure wisdom I read everyday. I know that this isn't true - I know I have similar thoughts, similar feelings - but turning off that negative part of myself is so hard. A switch to stop these thoughts, something concrete and immediate would be nice.
What was that, you may be asking yourself? Yesterday, I had my first therapy session. Well, technically I've been in therapy twice before, but both previous experiences were forced upon me - I was not ready to delve into the twisted ball of ... whatever that has driven my life thus far.
I know that going to therapy will be hard. I've avoided myself for so long, always focusing on the external. The only part of myself that I have allowed to flourish is my intelligence and its application (through schoolwork, mock trial, etc). I am scared, but ready to begin this journey. There will be a 4 month hiatus while I'm in Ireland, but I want to start now. 7 weeks and counting - how much can I get through?
No more rambling. :)
In twenty minutes, I'll be meeting with the lovely Anna - we'll go to brunch and then hit up the farmer's market. My stomach has been being funny for the past couple of days, so I'll try to keep the food on the simple side. After that, I'll head over to Minneapolis and have fun at the pride parade.
My friend J (I've mentioned him before) has been out of the closet for a while, but he still hangs around the door most of the time, and occasionaly puts a foot back inside. However, he is one of the leaders of Mac's Queer Union this coming year, so he'll have to fully embrace that part of himself, and not shy away quite as often. He's threatened to wear a dress to the parade.... I'm excited.
(And, sadly, he has killer legs. Seriously. Every girl wishes they had legs like J.)
Mmkay - off to enjoy my Sunday. I know I have been a terrible, horrible, awful foodie lately. Sigh. I'll try to get a picture in today some time. :)
Before I forget, the lovely Emily, the creative genius and inventor or the famous Pbu, is having a neat giveaway for a personalized blog make-over.
And... if you haven't sent me your address yet, please do! I have more postcards that need love! You can either email me at fruit.veggie.life[at]gmail.com or facebook me.
Love you all, and enjoy the last day of this weekend!
Emma


21 comments:
I don't know what you're talking about. This post just proves to me that you're one hell of a writer.
I agree with Debbie. I think you're an amazing writer, and this post totally proves it! You are not and never will be a horrible foodie. You're an incredible one! I'm so sorry about what happened to you, but I'm glad that you're so positive about recovery and are going to a therapist. I'm sure that'll help you lots. Have fun with Anna, sorry your stomach hasn't been feeling the greatest though!
Love you LOTS,
<3 jess
xoxo
I'm also puzzled -- you are definitely an incredible writer. I know what you mean when you say you kind of "shut it down," though; but you DEFINITELY still have it.
It's kind of funny... in my group of friends and in my family, I've always been "the writer." But like you said, I can write a killer paper, and I'm really good at the analytical stuff. Writing down my feelings? ... Erm, not so much. :/
<3 <3
Hey sweetheart. I think you are a beautiful writer, and I'm touched by so many things that you wrote. I am so proud that you are choosing to go to therapy, and I wish you the best during it!
Have fun with Anna - brunch and Farmer's Market? That sounds like a PERFECT time!
Much love,
Rachel
Emma, I love reading all of your posts! And if this isn't even considered your best, then I'm excited for what's to come. I know it's easy for the perfectionist side to take over and turn something that should be fun and an emotional release (i.e. blogging) into yet another way to feel inferior or not good enough. But I know that with therapy and all the help you're getting plus all of this community's love and support, you'll be able to keep that perfectionist side under control. If I could change one thing about myself it would be to tone down my innate competitiveness - too much of a good thing can definitely be bad. We'll overcome, though :)
I love your writing, Emma. I think all of us feel like we are the 'worst' when it comes to updating or thought=provoking posts or the style itself...but I guess the perfectionistic drive and the impecible ability to find flaws in ourselves where there are none is partly what led us down the path of eating disorders in the first place.
Keep writing, and start believing in yourself...if people didn't like it, they wouldn't read. If you weren't getting some benefit from blogging, you would stop. Neither of which is happening.
Enjoy your Sunday x
you and me both sister. any type of essay - hell ya, easy A+, but a well written post..aww hell nah!! :p
i am so sorry that you have been throu gh so many rough times in your life sweetheart--unfortunately, bad things happen to good ppl sometimes, and it sucks! youll get your chance though, i know it!
You are such a sweetheart Emma! Thanks for the compliment! And as a fellow writer, I do understand where you are coming from. You ARE a writer Emma - this post proves it - but I think you are trying to say that throughout the depression, ED, and struggles in your life, you feel you have lost touch with your inner writer and no longer take pride in that writing. I promise you that you CAN be a writer again! You have to push this ED out of the way and discover who YOU truly are. I promise, you are somewhere inside your body... you just have to figure out who that person is and embrace it. That being said, therapy is probably going to be a big help in doing that. Stay strong hun, and I'm ALWAYS here if you want someone to talk to!
xxoo
Heather
btw, I got your beautiful card Friday... I'm putting it on my post tonight! :) Thanks hun!
emma,
first of all -- thank you for such an amazing compliment. it really means so much to me because i too have struggled with the feeling that every. single. word. must be absolutely perfect before i hit "publish" on a post. that every thought, every subject touched on must be insightful yet witty, profound yet lighthearted enough to capture an audience. so for you to tell me that i'm a good writer means SO much, and you should know (and i only echo everyone before me!) that you are EQUALLY wonderful at sharing your thoughts on this space. that's the best thing about your blog -- that it's YOURS. this is an open forum for you to say whatever the hell you want, and you know it's a success because you have people coming back for more.
it's hard to see this, i know it first hand, but take pride in everything you do, and have as much faith in yourself as we do in you! i wouldn't say it if i didn't mean it.
hoping your having a beautiful, restful sunday!
Girlfriend you are one amazing friend, writer, and person in general, don't think anything less of yourself. You are beautiful inside and out and I am so happy to be able to have such a wonderful friend in my life such as you. Blogging is all about letting it out, expressing yourself, writing it all down, and you're damn good at it. I love you and wish you the best. You are such a gift to have on this Earth, Emma. Love yourself, love your writing, love and LIVE your life without fears, without doubts, and never let the past hold you back. Make a change, and make a difference.
Love you!
Meg
I think you're an incredible writer. I really do! You have a great, varied vocabulary and well-constructed sentences. I also agree with the others, though--this is your blog, and you shouldn't feel the need to compare it to others :)
I'm really sorry about what happened to you. I hope therapy goes well for you. You deserve to be truly happy with yourself--you're so beautiful inside and out!
I hope you had a fabulous Sunday <3
I think you are a very talented writer! I look forward to reading your posts because there's more substance there than a simple food recap. I also struggle with being completely open and honest in my blog posts because honestly, it's really hard for me to let people inside, even ones I don't know. So kudos to you and best wishes as you continue on this journey. :-)
p.s.
I just added you on fb.
Well, I'm going to jump on the bandwagon with the rest of them because you are a wonderful writer. You showed so much of your true self in this post and that takes so much courage. I respect you and love reading about your insights...
:) Keep on goin' love
i cant stress enough how much i agree with what debbie said. you are one hell of a good writer. you need to see this about yourself and stop analyzing every word you write. you are fine the way you are. writing a perfect post is just another way of trying to let the perfection that an ED brings along sneak in. dont ever let the ED tell you your post are not good enough or you're not a good writer. emma you are a wonderful writer and i enjoy reading every single word you say on here.
believe in yourself
xxx
emma, your honesty in this post is beautiful. but perfection is a myth! your writing is what keeps people coming back to read more of your thoughts day after day. don't doubt yourself, and never ever feel inferior. there is no such thing as being "good enough." you are who you are, which has no relation to anyone else. believe in your talents!
Sometimes others see things in us that we ourselves can not see. I think the previous comments prove that. You are a great writer. Sometimes the best writing comes when we're not trying at all. I am so glad that you are going to get help, I wish you well on your road to recovery and I wish you love and happiness in all areas of your life.
Don't hide yourself away.
you ARE a writer girl! rock out with the writing you know you're good :)
I write for a living and still want to go back and delete most of my posts right after I put them up, fearing that they're not "as good" as everyone else's. There's just such a difference between writing to report facts and writing to express emotion and expose yourself to criticism.
The thing is, you just have to write how you think, but no self-editing. This is my first time to your blog and I think you do a fabulous job and have no reason to doubt yourself at all--with writing or your ability to do whatever it is you want!
i actually think your an amazing writer :) writing is a great way to get all of your emotions out. There is no need to be perfect because we love you just the way you are :)
have fun with your friends!
Comparing writing, just like most comparisons, is a waste of time. You just have to write in a cathartic way, here; you're not trying to win any awards! And everybody finds different things inspiring -- it won't always be the words themselves, but it might be the tone or your attitude that shines through for people. You're a superstar, whether or not you believe it!
You are a fantastic writer! And even though many people read your blog, the words you write are for you, and they are special because they are your words! Obviously what you say has had some impact on other's lives, but that is not the point of blogging I think. If it helps others, GREAT... if doesn't, SO WHAT?! Life goes on, and you've expressed the thoughts and words that you needed to. Never hold back! You're wonderful not matter what you think!
Have a wonderful day!
XOXO,
Keri
http://hopskipleap.wordpress.com
Post a Comment